<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Random Ramblings

 

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Smiles, sweat, balloons & blood

On Friday night, I went to the ballet under the stars with a whole bunch of kids. Come, sit and listen to this tale unfold…

I’ll start with the great evening itself and leave my hilarious antics for later.

As I was giving out food/glow sticks/balloons/toys etc to the little ones – it was great to see the smiles of anticipation and happiness so clearly there and glowing out from their faces. (Only other parents, not from our group, marred it. But that is another story, for another time). Just sitting there with them, chatting with them, putting on their glow bangles, laughing with them, and so much more – it made me put the breaks on my life. For once, I stopped thinking about work, whether there was something I forgot to do, or something I had to do or work on. I got into the moment and spent it with these children; children which teaches us to realise that the most important thing is right in front of us. Not some rainbow we are always chasing. Not the work we are always so hung up over. Just sit, smile and enjoy. So simple yet so needed in our hectic and overwhelming lives.

Things that don’t even register on our radars, becomes these things to kids:
A simple Neopet toy brings the biggest smile one can find.
MacDonald’s is always a treat, probably better than most 5-star restaurants (who wants to sit and keep such decorum for 2 hours?)
The glow from a glow stick is dim, compared to the face of the child you just put it on.
Balloons are always hankered / desired after by kids – they will boldly walk up to you and ask for one.

Sitting there – I bet my blood pressure dropped, my head got a break, my heart learnt some lessons. I will always know that a child can teach you anything you need to know


Now, after that thoughtful section, you will hear about my nonsense.

As I was late, I was running up the stairs to Fort Canning. I would like to meet the person that designed those stairs, shake the person’s hand – what a genius… as I was running, climbing and moving my hand up the banister, my knuckles scraped over the wall just next to it. I looked at my hand, it looked fine just a bit red so I kept going, until a while later.

Something just didn’t feel right so I stopped and looked at my hand again. There was blood everywhere. So it seems, I scraped off half the flesh on my pinkie finger. It was just there, and the blood was all over my finger. I hope it rains before someone gets killed there. Wait they find my blood at the scene.

So I did the best thing I could, grabbed the cleanest tissue out of my bag and wrapped my finger tightly as I continue my ascent up. As
I didn’t want the kids to see the blood, I rummaged through my bag for a plaster and quickly applied it when I finally reached the top. The flesh was literally hanging out… it was quite a sight. But I’m not going to be so mean and show you an image of that – coz you all weak-stomach people will be running to the toilet to vomit.

Instead, here is one of it nicely healing. I’m so proud of myself that I didn’t pick at it, which is allowing it merge back together.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home