<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Random Ramblings

 

Monday, October 10, 2005

Second time around lucky

For those of you who don’t know yet, I have just become a Godma. She is quite a little doll with damn fine lips. As of now, she is a few days more than two months old. But she can be quite a monster – tends to always want to be carried constantly. I have a feeling it is because her grandma carried her a lot when she came home. Now, I guess she thinks it’s a normal thing. Oh well… we’ll see how that goes.

The first time I was asked, I turned it down outright; even though every part of me just wanted to scream yes. I wanted to give an affirmative answer because of the mother and the child, but I also knew, it would be a bad idea because of the mother. Unfortunately, I was proven right pretty quickly (I really wished I could have been wrong).


In some ways, it doesn’t feel different, although it does get a little weird when her grandma & mum refer to me as godma. Besides the ceremonial actions I would need to do – give red packets, birthday presents, etc – there doesn’t seem to be much else. I’ve never really seen the “godparent” role has very significant in a child’s life. Some people just appoint one for the sake of appointing (not for my godchild tho), the whole peer pressure syndrome.

I’m as of now, not exactly sure what kind of godparent I want to be – thankfully I have the luxury of a few months to really make up my mind. If I want to be really involved in her life, or just see her on special occasions. I do hope I don’t fall into the latter; seems that quite a few of my friends have those kind of godparents. I guess I do the same to my godparents – haven’t seen my godpa in ages, and it took a tragedy for me to go and see my godma. To compound it further, I did say I would go and see her more regularly, but obviously I haven’t seen her since. *sigh* I make such a terrible godchild.

I hope I don’t make a horrid godparent.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

being a godparent has it's advantage of not taking up the role of a full-fledged parenthood. as insignificant as the title may mean to you (according to what i've read), i believe the child will see you as a really significant one in his life.

10/16/2005 4:34 pm  
Blogger alexisphoenix said...

I hope the child will see me as I see my godparents... and I hope I can be half as good as my godparents have been to me, for that is an achievement in itself.

10/16/2005 6:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home