<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Random Ramblings

 

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Silence is not always best

“The best kind of friend is the kind you can sit on a porch swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you’ve ever had. – Anonymous”

I used to think that the adage was one of the best ways to define communication between friends (especially for me). Recently, my meetings with friends have been full of conversations and interesting topics covered that I normally walk away feeling great from the intellectual simulation. One of these occurrences jolted me and stands out very distinctly.

My friend and I were doing the most mundane of things – cleaning a toilet – and we were just chitchatting over various issues and she suddenly drops a bombshell piece of news to me. For a split second, all I wanted to do was comfort her. But after a seemingly unfeeling question later, we went back to our previous topic and of coz, cleaning of the toilet.

Something was said, a query clarified and life goes on as it should. I know she is strong, and she knows that I care and will always be here regardless of what is going on with my life. We’ve been talking a lot lately (been catching up on lost time) and discussing various problems we are facing in our lives; it gets pretty heavy very often. We have heated debates, we can get a little (or fairly) angry with each other.

Putting all that aside, it’s really good to have a sound board and someone who really understands (without me having to put into words every single feeling/thought/etc) yet judges me because I am her friend, mostly her punch-lines/judgement calls are most impactful. Being stubborn as hell, I very often cannot see beyond what I am willing to see and I’m thankful to count her as one who I know I will be able to talk to regardless.

But no matter what, I have learnt that friendships are full of one-liners, sometimes two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home