<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Random Ramblings

 

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Distant memories

We have this innate ability to remember things. It makes us human to have memories cause a powerful emotion within us. A couple of events brought memories back I didn’t even remember I had—and the strangest things will trigger them from their slumber.


On Sunday, I went to JB coz I was seriously bored and on a spur, I decided to watch a movie… which was a pretty bad move coz when I was trying to get back to Singapore, the entire JB customs was jammed! The bus queues were so long, the area was so packed with smog, and stale air I was almost choking.

So I decided to do something I had not done in a long long time. I walked across the bridge back to Woodlands checkpoint. As I was walking, suddenly an old friend popped into my head – one I hadn’t thought of in ages. I remember the times the two of us would take a trip across the bridge together; sometimes we walked so that we could enjoy the scenery or the good weather. Sometimes we met halfway, other times we met on the JB side for some gallivanting. It was an escape for me, at a point of time in my life which I really needed one. My friend might never know it, but those outings which would seem ordinary to anyone else, made a huge difference for me.


I called my best friend, who is overseas coz I couldn’t sleep last night. We’ve just realised the last time we saw each other was in 2004… too long, just too long. In the midst of the conversation, my friend goes “Happy Belated Friendship Day!” and we both burst out laughing. When we were younger, 1 August was a huge deal for us. We would spend weeks before that preparing presents for our group of friends – from friendship bands (I’m actually pretty good at making those), to cards, funny little things.

It has been thirteen years since the two of us first met, and the friendship is full of little anecdotes that will always bring a smile to our faces. We hurl playful insults at each other and jib one another with a familiarity that only comes with time. She was surprised I kept the mobile number that I first got for her a few years back when she was back for a short period of time a few years ago.


I believe memories make a person – whether the memories are good or bad, its irrelevant. We are who we are coz of the decisions we make, from the lives we have led.

Memories make us cry, memories make us smile…

I always thought looking back on the times I cried would make me laugh;
But I never knew looking back on the times I laughed would make me cry.
- Unknown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home